The SDK ‘Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Publish’ specified could not be found.

I got a weird error today…trying to build my azure function.

 

\.nuget\packages\microsoft.net.sdk.functions\1.0.2\build\netstandard1.0\Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Functions.Publish.props(13,11): error MSB4236: The SDK ‘Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Publish’ specified could not be found.

Internet searching did not find much.

My VS 2017 timeline was this.

I installed Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise.

I installed Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise Preview 2.

My enterprise edition expired, and my company is working on getting an upgraded license (still in the red tape stage).

So I installed I installed Visual Studio 2017 Professional.  I installed then Visual Studio 2017 Professional Preview 2. (I did not uninstall Enterprise versions, as I expect to get a upgraded msdn subscription shortly).

Then I tried to build and got the above error.

It turns out there are multiple versions of msbuild.exe

 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Preview\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Preview\Professional\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe

 

I got the error above by using the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe

But I switched to using

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Preview\Professional\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\msbuild.exe

and the error went away

No idea if its because of an expired license or overlaying Pro on top of Enterprise edition or what.

Hope that helps sombody.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The SDK ‘Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Publish’ specified could not be found.

  1. Fauré Quentin says:

    Hi,
    This error can be resolved by update to last version of Azure function/webjob sdk. After that recreate a new projet and it is working. But I did not success to re-run the old project. Like you I use the Enterprise version of Visual Studio. I think the problem was only on the version 1.0.2 . Now, i use 1.0.6.

    I hope it can help other people.
    Best Regards

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s